Tag Archives: Lakes Region
Written on August 7, 2012 at 1:41 pm
Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee has a long history of tourism and family fun. Long before the initial strip of sand was added along the shores of the big lake, the native Abenaquis Indians constructed large fishing traps called “Weirs” along the channel to feed their village. Surrounded by natural beauty and eventually serviced by a train station, the Weirs grew into a tourist destination. A narrow strip of sand was added along the rocky shores to provide a space for vacationers to enjoy the newest trend of sunbathing in the 1930’s. Beginning in 1950, the city of Laconia began a shorefront transformation project that brought loads of sand to the area to create the expansive lake front beach that is now present day Weirs Beach. The Town eventually added “Beach” to the village’s name in the 1950’s to promote tourism.